You’ve probably heard of the saying “Men are from Mars and women are from Venus” but did you ever realize that this is true right down to a cellular level? Yes, reproductively we are different and we have different physical structures but I am talking about a CELLULAR level – even our skin is different!
Women, have you ever wondered why men don’t get cellulite yet women are prone to it? Here is the deal: Fat cells are contained within layers of tissue called collagen. In men, collagen is arranged in a crisscross formation while for women, fat cells are stored in a cube like structure, separated by bands of collagen. When a man gains weight and his fat cells get bigger, the collagen stretches evenly due to its crisscross formation; when a woman gains weight, the collagen bands become thinner and lose elasticity causing the fat cells to push up into the skin, creating irregularities and dimpling.
Don’t get me wrong; you do not have to be overweight to have cellulite. Other causes of cellulite include free radical damage, reduced or inadequate blood circulate and poor lymphatic drainage.
So how can you prevent or reduce the appearance or progression of cellulite? Check out these 5 tips and say goodbye to stubborn cellulite!
• Reduce refined sugar, processed food, convenient food and fried food consumption. These foods produce free radical damage, which reduce the integrity of collagen. Incorporate more detox-friendly foods such as vegetables and fruits and organic meat and produce.
• Increase water intake to 2L/day. Water is necessary for optimal cell functioning. Water helps to flush toxins out of the cells that are essential for cellulite prevention and reduction.
• Exercise! One more good reason to find time to hit the gym. Physical activity helps with blood circulation and improves lymphatic drainage. Vibration therapy and rebounding are quick, easy and effective for enhancing blood and lymphatic circulation.
• Dry skin brushing is a great before-the-shower cellulite reduction strategy that also helps with general detoxification. First thing is first; invest in a brush with natural fiber bristles. Start at your feet and brush upwards, toward the heart. For complete dissolving of cellulite, do this 10 minutes a day for several months.
• Not feeling the dry skin brushing? Consider VelaShape II. VelaShape II is the only FDA approved, non-surgical alternative to liposuction. Comprised of 4 individual mechanisms: Infrared Light (IR), Radiofrequency (RF), Negative Pressure and Mechanical Massage, VelaShape II works remodel the connective tissue and increase firmness in the epidermis, thus contouring the body and reducing cellulite. Blood circulation is enhanced and collagen production is stimulated to restore the skins natural elasticity. Studies have demonstrated an average reduction of more than 2cm with a 60% overall improvement in skin appearance. Furthermore, lymphatic drainage is improved, moving excess fluid outside of the tissue, allowing for long lasting results. Skin appears smoother, tighter and more toned.